Monday, December 26, 2011

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka


This was an amusing little light-reading diversion for the women’s auxiliary chick-lit club of Skokie, Illinois.  The “Skokie Women’s Discussion Group” met yesterday (2nd and 4th Wednesdays of every month).  They love these stories that portray all men as bumbling idiots, easily swayed by any wiggly pair of “knockers.”  These stories that cast men with rock-solid egos, albeit with sometimes squishy other parts.  Besides work, these men play and watch games, and eat a lot.

This fictionalized memoir reads more like a series of neighborly chats at the checkout queue of the local Sainsbury’s, with the focus of the week being one of three alternating points: 1) sisterly bonding; 2) 20th century Ukrainian history; and 3) a generous helping of Judge Judy.  All in all, I thought Marina’s writing style was “cute and entertaining.”  It’s a harmless book that can be read quickly or intermittently as the mood suits one.  I will recommend it to my sister, who wouldn’t miss a Judge Judy episode; she loves the sheer crassness of those who would seek J.J.’s opinion/decision.  My Slavic friends (in my age group) are all fervent, nationalistic slaves to polka dancing.  They will pour over this book with serious, critical attention.  For those more modern American friends of mine, the 99%, I’d recommend it to the women in my age group.  The family bonding/understanding issue is far bigger and certainly more important that what was attempted in this chin-wag book.  Nonetheless, it at least brings up the point that “older sister” maybe has some insights into the family history/dynamic from which younger sister was sheltered.

So, the undisclosed factor in my soft handling of this book is that my college 4th year roommate, and 5th year (I switched from engineering to Math, Physics, & German) best friend was known as Oleks Rudenko.  That was 1959-60 thru 61: the University of Arizona at Tucson. Oleks was a young teenager during the German offensive East (1941) and subsequent retreat West (1944).  He had joined the partisans for Ukrainian independence as a runner early on.  He was captured by the Germans and sent back as a worker.  In 1945, he was free as a 17-year old survivor to roam Germany with a band of like-thinking ex-patriots.  He had wild tales to tell of commandeered jeeps, teen-aged adventures, smiling American GIs with cigarettes, food, and gasoline.  He came across to America in 1948; worked to make money, learn English (badly, but it served him well in 50’s America) and also enough to get into college.  I stayed with Oleks and his wife eight years later (1968) when he was finally settling down and I was starting graduate school. 

I danced a lot of polkas in those days with the Slavic graduate student clubs; learned a lot of Eastern European history.  I hope that Oleks found peace with the dissolution of the Soviet Union:  I don’t know; I lost contact in the eighties.  I hope he got to go back.

The causes never die. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my name is Isabelle and I'm Oleks's granddaughter. I'm 12 yrs old and live with my parents in GA. I was researching my grandfather online and came came across your article. My grandmother is currently visiting us and would like me to inform you that yes he did get go back in 1995 and took my grandmother along. He was reunited with his family in which he had not seen in over 50 yrs. He returned a second time without my grandmother in 1998. He brought with him 7 suitcases full of supplies such as coats, hats, clothing, food, candies and trinkets for the relatives. Unfortunately his health did not allow him to return a 3rd time. They moved to Oklahoma in order for my Deduce to go to graduate school and lived in that area for 29 yrs then moved the to Phoenix area. They resided there for many years but by 2012 my grandmother needed some help with my Deduce and would not put him in a nursing home so they moved back to Tennessee to be closer to family. I am sorry to say that this past December he passed away due to 4 heart conditions, Parkinson-ism, and Alzheimer's. My grandmother would very much like to reconnect with you. My Deduce lovingly shared the wonderful times you guys shared together an told us many stories of the fun you shared. If you are interested in contacting my grandmother we would very much appreciate that. You can contact her at katherinerudenko@outlook.com or contact me at frzzyizzy2001@hotmail.com or mcwhortorisabelle@gmail.com Thank you!
    sincerely,
    Isabelle (Oleks's grandaughter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally ran across the name Rudenko and was moved to look up the name of someone from my own past: Oleks Rudenko. The information I have found regarding your late grandfather is sparse regarding the time I am interested in, so I can't tell if I'm thinking of the same gentleman. Do you know if your grandfather taught Russian in a Tucson high school in the 1964-66 range?
      I know you wrote this comment four years ago, but I thought it might be worth a try to respond here.
      Regards,
      J. B. Levin (Catalina H.S. '66)

      Delete