Thursday, October 25, 2018

Final Score


Final Score

Yes, when I was under 40, death was for old people; deal with it.  From then until 60, was a cautionary age – insurance: yes or no, investing? Why didn’t our parents plan?  60-80, we continually rolled the dice.  It’s all OK; we’ve lived a good life, we’re ready; and not moving again.

No, having past into the End Zone, I find the perspective has changed yet again.  Now I feel like George Burns, I don’t know anybody.  It’s either that, or everybody else is already dead or dying.  Where are the new horizons?

Yes, I’m somewhat OK with this: I got a ten-year reprieve from my Doc at Kaiser last week.  “Don’t get hit by a bus, and you’re good for another decade.”  That’s what we all want to hear.  But as I wrote the above, my perspective has changed.  I don’t care about me anymore.  I’m done with plaudits.

No, I have plenty of time left to deliver my words of wisdom.  So, what’s on or off my bucket list?  I like working with lists.

Yes, I’d like to finish installing some windows I bought a decade ago.  I installed the windows downstairs; I didn't need ladders needed back then.  It was technically an awesome job, but people complain about my finish work on the wood framing.  It will take upstairs scaffolding to finish the job, and I‘m concerned about me on that ladder.

No, I don’t need to travel anymore; I’ve been to the four corners – but my passport is now long expired.  The stories I read and hear do not entice me back to air travel.

Yes, I’d like my book club to be a legacy, successful, but not too much.  Spice and Variety can still be a good thing.  It is my platform for espousing the classics, and my desire is to preach good books as long as I can.

No, I don’t need cars, clothes, or other things; I buy my clothes at Walmart.  I’m still a techie, but, landline, no smart phone, Windows PC.

Yes, I’ve had so much fun recently with my fence-side garden that I want to expand that project into all of my surrounding fence-line boundaries.

No, I’m not writing reflections and/or memoirs for kids, grandkids, or any other family members.  They have no attention span, and these days it can be a third or even fourth generational mismatch.  I write what I write for my peers, and mostly for myself, to feel good about moving into this final end zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment