Monday, May 26, 2014

And the Dark Sacred Night by Julia Glass


Was this book over-hyped.?

Everyone loved “The Three Junes”.

That was a unique story.  The plot lines here are a recently trendy topic – finding oneself after adoption or some other mysterious birth.

I found it slow moving.  Of course I had just finished “The Cairo Affair”, which was fast-paced, an opposite swing of the pendulum.

Besides the tempo, I was also put off by the supercilious use of language.  Some might like these sorts of sentences – I didn’t.


With insulting alacrity, in his old domain sprouted the fifth Marc Jacobs boutique within a four-block radius, compounding the sense of real-estate déjà vu in a neighborhood where stretches of once-quite-idiosyncratic merchants have been replaced by a prolific redundancy of glossy, mirrored spaces and miniskirted mannequins, each new establishment about as distinctive as a slab of brie from Trader Joe’s.”



 
I think my timing was wrong for this book.  This might have been a great summer read, if only I’d been comfortable spreading it out over ten weeks, forty pages a week. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment