Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Circle of Wives by Alice LaPlante


I am shocked, SHOCKED, that my sister has not yet passed this book along to me!  How did I see it first..!!  She always spots these sorts of books long before I do; me being up here in the hinterlands. 

She and my daughter, namesakes, Pat and Patricia, both have affinities to Palo Alto, Stanford, and the Sillycon Valley mystique. 

This is not a library book club selection so I will synopsize the story line.  Palo Alto PD has their youngest female detective (Sam)antha assigned to a seeming heart attack victim, and it turns out to be murder.  He was a middle-age plastic surgeon, Dr. Taylor, who’s rolling in dough.  Turns out he had multiple wives.

The multiple wives aspect allows the author to switch points of view from wive(s) to detective, which Alice LaPlante handles brilliantly.  I loved her style of writing.  The plot isn’t overly complicated but there are many people with motive.

The book has money, sex, and beautiful people in beautiful settings.  The author sticks to her own gender, painting each suspect and the cops with believable descriptions and sub-plots.  The action mostly takes place in the South Bay, Los Gatos, San Jose, and Palo Alto.

It’s a 300-page good read that I will return to the library now.

No comments:

Post a Comment