Sunday, March 1, 2015

An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine




Wow.!.!.!  This is the first time in a number of years that I would agree with whatever committee gave this book a National Book Award prize [actually the author was only awarded a “finalist” designation; God only knows what book beat him out in the finals. 

In my opinion, this is the best book club read I’ve ever encountered {albeit not a Sonoma County Library selection}.  Being second tier is something I got used to while living in Europe.  The concept is anathema to most Americans, but we have AAA baseball.  Those sub-strata of teams relegated to second-tier are like our Library book groups: not as much funding, and not the all-star players.  And yet, the Library Foundation has its conservative rules – no new books, established acclaim, literary east-coast prizes – within which this book might eventually fit, as a contender, albeit in three years.  The problem we at Guerneville Library have experienced is that in 2017, this book may not have the same topicality as now.

So, this is the style of writing that violates all the rules, and thus is brilliant because of that violation.  I’m now finished my first read of this book – there weren’t any chapters to help set a pace, but it’s one of those reads that’s hard to put down, so I used toilet paper as marker stop-points.  The book uses a declarative first person protagonist (which I just complained about in another recent book commentary), and yet the author has captured me, my thoughts, and my actions in detail, so how can I complain.  I love this style – because the protagonist is me.  She’s a woman, with full feminine attributes and capabilities – and a woman I could love – and yet she easily fits within the minds of men, in all their disgusting habits: farting, swearing, disrespecting women, killing other people with guns, and in all sorts of ways, being stupid.

To our reading group, the heroine is “of an age”, our age.  Done with a gazillion and one things, that have bothered us between birth and 65.  What she’s left with, as we might agree, is a love of the written word, specifically literature.  Our protagonist, probably unlike us, has devoted her life to translating “the great works of literature”, in her opinion, into Arabic.  Was this book like “The Housekeeper and the Professor” or other stories, which place a heroine in harm’s way and then tie up the loose ends.  Quite often, these books develop their stories in the Middle or Far East.

This month will be my first, in a long while, at a non-library-based book club.  In the past, my experience with most reading and writing groups has been that they are predominately feminine.  This new “Meet-Up” group limits itself, wisely, to sixteen people per event, but allocates 2 hours instead of only one.  I hope this means that each participant will have 4-5 minutes to put forward their ideas on the book.  I can only hope that, over time, there will be a gender balance in these Meet-Up groups.

My library book this month was a memoir that cited 300 book titles.  I hated that book and loved this one, and had to ask myself, why?.  Was I being inconsistent?  The difference I found was that whereas the Beiruti author’s protagonist was a hermit-style, solitary reader and writer, the Will Schwalbe memoir was a gregarious journalist/publisher for whom books were his career bread and butter.  He didn’t really like them, reading or writing.  Books were Aaliya’s Life.  They were her only and true friends.  I compiled a list of Aaliya’s 37 best friends, which is documented on the next four pages.

I normally resist the temptation to quote passages from the current book, but with a supposed few extra minutes I will cite page 54 after a self-proclaimed bucolic passage

I sway a little, lean on the wine-red and urine yellow abomination of a breakfast table that my husband brought with him when we were married and left when he left.  I shake the loose folds of my robe de chamber.  Dust motes hang thick in the air.  The kitchen has two windows on adjacent walls.  A spider with shockingly long front legs busies herself with prey caught in her web.  All that remains is a wisp of gossamer with striated veins..  The spider chose the wrong window; her home will be washed away with the first rains.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment