Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant


Right off the top I have to say that this book has been chosen by my Novel Lovers of Sebastopol, which is primarily a female exclusive reading group.  I have to add though, that this selection was brilliant: I am thoroughly enjoying the book a third of the way through. 

The protagonist is a woman, not long after the time of Abraham, who relates her stories, as was the custom of the time, passed down from her grandmother and mother’s female families through to her female children and grandchildren.  Stories passed across five generations, by telling and retelling.  Most of we readers respect this historical concept and rue the loss about a millennia ago of the retold verbal story. 

From my perspective, as an aging male, I’ve achieved balance between my testosterone and my estrogen.  I’ve raised kids all my life, and am naturally envious of the mystical “Red Tent” goings on, of which I will never be a part.  I’m sure that like me, other readers always want a book that teaches them something, and this one’s got birthing rites in spades.  And at least as far as I’ve read, a comical view of men, not unlike the old Greek plays about sex strikes, etc.  This was before urbanity (City-States), so all people were alike.  People are normal in this book – which seems to be a current concept I’ve been appreciating recently.  I like book characters, not the best in the world at X, Y and Z.  Beautiful women, studly men, are always in the eye of the beholder.  We readers understand love and relationships, which abound in this book.

So, the first hundred pages enjoyed: I’m all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment