Saturday, August 8, 2015

Murder on the Champ De Mars by Cara Black


This is another in a long series of Aimée Leduc mysteries.  My sister says it’s too squishy with all the French words.  Maybe she’s just too Ohioan or Nebraskan: remember Frog-Fries? 

I got used to, and like, the designer names, and the common argot phrases.  I bonded with Louise Penny’s French-Canadian Inspector Gamache, who was recommended to me, by my sister – go figure.

Paris is my favorite city, but it’s all through memory and reading now, thus mellowing with age like a good Chambertin, and enjoyable in sips.

O.K., my sister must have stuck it out farther than I did.  The first few books were cute with their mentions of designer shoes and bags and coats, and I liked that, superficial as I am.  But this is too much.!  Cara Black, the author, is dumping product placement ads 2/3 to a page.  As an author, she’s prostituting herself and reflecting badly on her trade, which supposedly is writing murder mysteries, not whoring.

After 100 of 300 pages, I am returning this book to the Library and I do not recommend it to anyone.  The plot is thin, character development is lacking.  The author appears to be just grinding out “another one” for maximum $$$ payback.

No comments:

Post a Comment