Sunday, November 22, 2015

Circling the Sun by Paula McClain


This is my first choice of book for an afternoon discussion party with my daughter, Patricia, and two couples who are friends of mine; they’re a little older than my daughter, but with shared travel and readership interests. 
x
McLain’s book about Beryl Markham invokes in me the spirit of adventure that pulls together the infrequent assertive and aggressive nature of my English wife, Sue, who like Beryl Markham, spent her teen years in Africa; and with Patricia’s similar youthful rebellious nature.
 
 
x
Patricia’s background stands toe-to-toe with Robin and Padma, who have likewise achieved intellectual independence, albeit a generation earlier, thus all the more difficult.  From my perspective, all three cross paths on many arcs. x
I hope that this specific book, and for those with a bit more time, Beryl’s own book, “West with the Night”, will form the basis for many common talking points: Africa, flying airplanes, raising horses, African-American relationships, education & teaching, and travel.x

Of course, I assume that all conversations will roam through the gamut of this group’s experiences and thoughts.  Flying, horses, England and Africa are just starting points.x
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Patricia’s background stands toe-to-toe with Robin and Padma, who have likewise achieved intellectual independence, albeit a generation earlier, thus all the more difficult.  From my perspective, all three cross paths on many arcs. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment