Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Migrant in Us All


I have continued to watch classic movies as my release valve for stresses and strains that tend to build up in our chaotic world.
Earlier this past week I watched, “The Deer Hunter” [‘78], and now tonight, “The Godfather” [‘72].  Both of these films, with famous directors, open with marriage celebrations.  The Deer Hunter group is Slavic, I like to think of them as Ukrainian.  They’re all steel-workers, making $40 an hour, steady; and going to war for God and Country, not as a job.  The mafia group is Italian, small business America.  Life is good for them too.
We ALL like a wedding.  These were both portrayed as great weddings, fun weddings, for everyone.  All America loves a fun wedding.  As a movie device, these fun moments serve to contrast the rest of those movies, which have rather nasty outcomes.
I relish these immigrant traditional rites, and I’m sure I have room for many more.  I think the sum total of all of these sorts of traditions are what makes us American.  We are the giant melting pot, at least we used to brag about that.
I understand that there are no more $80,000 a year jobs in steel mills, but America is still the land of opportunity.  Make education a priority and give your kids a break.
Millions of immigrants every year still think that America has a pot of gold waiting for them. 
I think they are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment