Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Going Clear by Lawrence Wright


1970’s
I had forgotten just how, into all this crap, we all were back in the seventies.  For me, it was Silva Mind Control, EST, both at the Jack Tar Hotel in S.F., Triangle pyramids, cocaine snorting, self-indulgence, pot, LSD, egocentricity, and I still try and forget the clothes.

2020 (50 years on)
In a broad, historical view, there’s minor difference from the 1890’s hawkers of elixirs and patent medicines, electro-magnetism, or loco weed; and don’t forget the “Elmer Gantry” of the 1930’s.  “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

Book selection
A few of our book club may recall my old penchant for carping about journalists who dare to switch from Sunday supplements to full-length book format, either novel or non-fiction.  9 out of 10, to my mind, don’t make the transition well.  Wright’s writing [sorry] carried him enough to avoid much criticism, but he woefully lacked an editor, who could slash and burn.  This was a subject that had great appeal for the Sunday supplement crowd, to prize-winning acclaim.  And who could say no to a pile of a hundred packets (a hundred in each) of hundred-dollar bills?  So, he expanded it, without a leash.

What did I Learn – I need to Learn
I and my seventies, so smart friends, thought Tom Cruise must be dead by now.  No one could believe this malarkey in this day & age.
The Internet and social media means:
    THERE IS A PLACE FOR EVERYONE, NO MATTER HOW INSANE.

No comments:

Post a Comment