Wednesday, November 7, 2012

History of Love Comments From: "Sharyn Ferguson"

Hello Group,

First, an apology to Mauri. When I first saw the latest book, "History of Love", I made the snide comment that it couldn't have been very good because I remembered the cover distinctly but the story not at all! Therefore, it must not have made much of an impression on me.

How very wrong I was. I don't know why it didn't register with my memory but, suffice to say, I could not have been more in error.

This is beautiful book. Although challenging for me to keep track of the characters and their history in the history of love, I feel it is one of the better books our group has read. It was funny, mysterious, and, for me, an entirely different approach to presenting a story. I honestly cared about the people; I honestly wanted to know what happened; I honestly wanted a happy ending. Did it have one? I think so, but would like to know what the group thinks. I really wish I could be there with you.

This story had me so interested, I didn't even notice if there were any editorial errors...I didn't care.

The following are just a few of my favorite passages:

Page 115 --

"He wondered if what he had taken for the richness of silence was really the poverty of never being heard."


Page 156 --

"He learned to live with the truth. Not to accept it, but to live with it. It was like living with an elephant."

Page 192 --

"Every year, the memories I have of my father become more faint, unclear, and distant. Once they were vivid and true, then they were became like photographs, and now they are more like photographs of photographs. But sometimes, at rare moments, a memory of him will return to me with such suddenness and clarity that all
the feeling I've pushed down for the years springs out like a jack-in-the-box."

These last two quotes are ones that are extremely specially to me. My only child was killed seven months ago.

These words succinctly express how I feel and how I worry about the potential for fading photographs. May you never have unwanted jack-in-the-boxes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment