Thursday, November 8, 2012

Padma's Comments on History of Love


In many ways I found this book quite lovely and in many ways quite confusing. I felt I need to read it again and hoped that would help me understand it better. I read it again (skimmed, I admit) and I did understand the “plot” better; but still not very interesting.

The writing was nice, humorous, and at times poetic. I liked the children but could never figure out the significance of the religious fanaticism of the brother, Bird. I did like that he was called “Bird” that was original.

I enjoyed Leo’s reflections on his life, his sense of humor, his relationship with Bruno. Although I could not figure out when Bruno, or Leopold, for that matter, actually died. I thought the scene of Leo posing for the art class was truly funny, and realistic.

I did not understand the idea of pages with one or two sentences on the whole page. Did someone think the book should be longer? Perhaps this also was the point of a few characters for whom I could not figure out a purpose.

For example what was the point of the old professor Alma meets who is a paleontologist? Or the scene with the rich man who is locked out of his home and pays Leo with a $100 bill?

Some of these things just felt thrown in with no particular purpose. As if the author had a clever idea that she could not resist writing about, so she put it in this story. I think perhaps she should have resisted, maybe saved her ideas for another book where they might be more relevant.

I also did not get the purpose of the photos of her grandparents. Were they supposed to be characters in the novel? Did she want us to be certain that she actually had grandparents? Is there something special about having grandparents that I missed?

All in all I could have passed on this one.

 

Just finished “Dearie,” the Julia Child biography and cried at the end. I was even inspired to get her first book, The Art of French Cooking, and have enjoyed cooking from it.

Engrossed in “A State of Wonder,” by Ann Patchett. Only about 1/3 into it; but so far very good, mysterious with good character and plot development.

Sorry to miss the group. I’m at a craft fair at the Airport Club to benefit their Cancer Wellness program. Curious to hear news of how others liked this book.

padma

No comments:

Post a Comment