Friday, May 22, 2020

Friday Night Memorial Day Weekend 2020



I’m listening to Anton Dvorak’s 9th Symphony, the New World, a recording from 1991, the Munich Philharmonic, on utube.
I’m thinking of the two 32-year periods: the last spanning back to my return from England, late 1980’s, about when this was recorded, which defines my current life; and before that, back to the late fifties, when I went off to college at the University of Arizona, in Tucson, 1956.  
Way back when, this was one of those seminal pieces, that I listened to scores of times, in the UofA Student Union “listening room”. I would say that modern classical music was one my major classes at college.  Full props to my Mom, she raised me on the three B’s: Bach, Brahms, and Beethoven.  I could conduct the Fifth by age 11.  I recognized the styles of all the piano and violin virtuosos by the time I went away to college.
But college did what it was supposed to do, it opened my eyes to worlds beyond my worlds.  College altered my views in politics and history, literature and science, but also in music: Copland, Prokovief, Richard Strauss; and Leonard Bernstein taught the course, who I listened to every Saturday with his explanatory Children’s Performance by the New York Symphony.
I roamed the world for the 60’s-70’s, and 80’s, but always with seasons tickets to the local Symphony.
Listening tonight to the 1991 performance takes me back to those youthful days of my 20’s, the cocky young kid, with a mind-expanded view of the world, and his sure place within it, empowered by all these wonderful new composers and virtuosi.

No comments:

Post a Comment