Saturday, July 11, 2020

Three Years Before the Antenna


Year Two – Establishing Watermarks

Rocky Games Float Parade

Midsummer’s Nightmare, for me anyway.  A few people from KGGV humored me and belatedly agreed to enter a float in the Fourth of July Water Float Parade in Monte Rio.  We built it in my front yard, not that far from the beach.  Jamie Hart was in charge of entries, got us in, and scheduled to be on mic during the parade.
This was a Saturday and I had been up at 4:30 am to start a 6am radio show, then on and off air until one o’clock when Mark came in to do “The Vocal Scene.”
KGGV and Monte Rio Park & Recreation had an agreed plan to be involved with the festivities that night, but things broke down and MRRPD cancelled, leaving a sour taste in many mouths.  Our float looked good to us but paled in comparison to many of the others.  However it did look good in the dark.

By the time of the water parade, I had been up 18 hours, much of it in the summer heat doing strenuous things.  I was near exhaustion and worried I’d have a heart attack.  I was 68 and was leaving the next day for a few days rest in Carmel, so I thought the worst was over by the time of the fireworks.  However this was the point at which my heretofore friendly tenant decided to move in her boyfriend, stop communicating with me, and stop paying the rent.
Then came the low point of the summer.
The glass refilled again, thankfully, due to the efforts of Pam Tinnin and Beth Hearn, who graciously listened to me ramble about my personal problems, ad nauseum, until the problems faded into distant memory by Fall.  Thus began my more serious involvement with the Church.
As the pain of the summer subsided, the pleasure of common group activity took its place and I grew stronger because of it all (and lighter).
An aside, I saw Jamie Hart at the Pink on NYE and she’s turned into a “Babe.” Congrats Jamie.

Owen Edwards – We the people

 
I run into Owen once a month when Pat Nolan and I are finishing with our Book Discussion program and Owen is coming in for his, “We the People” show.  It  was mostly Owen’s brainchild ideas and dogged hard work that put together the New Year’s Eve Party this year at Coffee Bazaar.






Pegasus Theater


KGGV did a lot for the Pegasus Theater group.  We did promos for every production and I did a lengthier interview with each of the directors: Jacqueline Wells, Peter Cooper, Lois Pearlman, and Andrea Van Dyke.
I recently started putting together the pre and post show music CDs.  And, of course, I’ve started attending again, after a hiatus of several years.
We promoted Andrea’s Occidental Cabaret production as well, and a great evening that was.  I miss those Cabarets.  I also miss those Christmas Caberets in Monte Rio.  These shows aren’t put on by KGGV, but the local performance artists swing with several groups, so it was always like a KGGV gathering.


Interviews at KGGV


I set out as a goal to interview all the KGGV DJs and Hosts, so that we could use them as promotional filler.  Just audio, but I’m still listening to those gems to get material for this memoir.
Learning about Jazz musicians and Vocalists
You know, one of the universal comments I got when recording interviews with KGGV hosts and DJs, is how this has been an opportunity for them to learn even more about their musical specialties, as they do preparation and research for their shows.
From my personal experience, I can say that I’ve learned a huge amount about Jazz specifically and music in general over the past year.  I’ve learned to enjoy genres that I had forgotten and buried, but these DJs have brought the music back to life again.

Sister Glitz & River Ranger


This couple is amazing – both so talented – in so many ways.  I first ran into them through the library – more specifically through the Friends of the Library and the FOL Reader’s Theater group.   Nancy’s show, “Sox Knocking Rock” was the longest running show in a single time slot, two hours on prime-time Friday nights.  Jim & Nancy were .  actors in several plays and Jim went on to do more serious work at Pegasus..  Jim of course had one of the most popular shows ever with Stumptown Radio Roundup.  Jim had a cowboy poetry contest one Saturday morning and asked listeners to call in with their votes.  We had to put on two extra phones the call volume was so high.  Everybody in town listened to that show.  People wanted more so we scheduled in another hour with “Old West Radio”, playing old “Lone Ranger” tapes.
Jim and Nancy were also regulars and popular at the River Home Companion shows.

Elena Welch


I developed a liking for Elena immediately upon meeting her at the Home Expo in 2006.  We shared the studio for an hour.  What a classy lady.  Unfortunately, I got on her wrong side by dominating an interview she had scheduled, and then later blowing off another interview that she wanted me to do.
It’s hard, with scores of big egos, to keep everybody happy.  After a year, everyone has called me names once or twice.  And there are those who haven’t stopped.  Elena is a star and performed at all the KGGV events, like the Strawberry Festival and the RHC.
Elena’s show was, Under the Influence.

 “Klubhouse” – Voice of Youth

I worked with Suki Aaker on her program for several months as it initially got going, doing the recording and playing the program on-air from an edited CD.  We certainly had our differences in 2006/7.  I punitively had to pull her weekly program off the air and make it a monthly after she just blew things off after the very first week.  She was like clockwork ever since; we put her back on weekly in October.







Rods at the Rio

Well, a proof of concept at least.  Susy & Don do “Rods at the Rio” every year and they approached KGGV about doing a live remote from the parking lot of the Koret Club in Monte Rio.  Too far away was the pronouncement of Randy Wells, “Has to be line of sight to our tower.”  Scheduled events are on a Saturday morning, from 9am until past noon.  I thought we might make it work if we pre-recorded some interviews early and then went on air at 10:00.  Sister Glitz did an automobile theme special the night before, so we built a hot rod car Playlist.  Damien took the hot seat in the studio and DJ’d the two hours, interspersing Sister Glitz’s car songs with two dozen interviews I recorded between 8:30 and ten and burned onto a CD before I took them to the studio.
Then I went back to the Koret parking lot with two boom boxes and Giselle to pass out literature during the 2-hour broadcast, which appeared to everyone as a live broadcast.
Note for future years – bring a contribution box to collect donations. 

“Inspiration”

We kept the noon Tuesday time slot open for Pam Tinnin during the early summer, then I encouraged Pam to record some of her Vinegar stories.  I recorded eight stories and packaged them with some new age music to round out the hour.
Pam was also a participant in the River Home Companion series

GCC Church Services


Now I’ve been to far more ceremonial services  across the world: Weddings in Notre Dame, Midnight Mass in Florence, Yom Kippur at the central temple in Jerusalem.  Incense, Pomp, and Circumstance.
Four times in that second year, I knew Pam Tinnin was talking directly to me, and addressing my life.  In other words, she got to my soul.
Like doing the “Morning Show,” I only jumped in because there was an apparent need for someone to do it.  In retrospect, the “need” came from Beth and Randy, and neither one listened that early, but it’s history now.  Doing the Church Service was a committed objective.  I thought Megan might do it, but she was incredibly involved in school.
We have some equipment in the Sanctuary but no one, including me wanted to tackle that in 2006/7.  Michael Adams and I planned to incorporate this equipment into our facility remote gear in 2007.  So, my digital recorder fit the bill for Church Services and I’ve recorded and broadcast them since June 2006, without a miss through 2006/7.
Also did some specials like Sonia Tubridy’s River Choir performances and the Christmas Eve performance, but they come later.

The Morning Show


I found my niche at KGGV being an announcer.  I like that role.  I can summon the energy burst necessary to make Public Service Announcements seem interesting and lively.  I’m a quick enough study to usually be able to keep interviews going at a lively pace.  And, I’m a good sight reader, which is handy for reading the newspaper in the morning.
However, I was also happy to be able to turn things over to Sharon Wikoff towards the end of the year, as I wound down my involvement with Programming activities.

Hayley Severe - Live from the RRPAC

Hayley is a talented woman who immediately hit town with a bang. Her concept was so intriguing that I skipped her past the normal training and radio indoctrination steps.  She was smart as well as talented and picked up remote broadcasting with ease.  That was her concept – a remote broadcast from her new community performance auditorium (Wendel’s old mortuary.)
She scheduled in groups, both classical and non.  She was sort of a Kit Mariah with her own venue.  In fact, Kit joined her and managed the radio side of things for a while.  It was the kind of venture that would take 2-3 years to work out and develop a regular audience.  She didn’t have the luxury of that sort of period.

Scott Nickel


Scott quietly does a wonderful blues show, “Blues with a Feeling”, two hours mid-week, following Natasha’s Roots of Mexican Music.













Ferd Sabino – The Cocktail Hour


KGGV’s King of comedy. After about ten minutes of one of my best interviews doing KGGV hosts, I looked over at the Burner and realized it wasn’t on.  When we tried to restart the interview, neither of us could stop breaking into laughter, at the key words, “Take 2.”









Synthesthesia


I’m a softy for kids, especially babies, so after I met 10-month-old Cecily, Kat could do no wrong, not that she ever does. What she does do is a fascinating modern dance hour, with electronic and other genres.










Building a Website


Beth wanted to get David Kenley involved on two levels in the radio station; a program which he calls “Rivermouth,” and becoming the Web Site guru.
He’s done both.

“The Laughing Lady”

The Laughing Lady, aka Sadie Damascus, nee Sarah … .., well you get the point, this is a woman who likes an alias or two.
I met “Sadie” a few years ago when we both worked as election clerks.  Her husband Grover came in and brought her a hot dinner – I was impressed.  She talked a lot about attending “Burning Man” and about playing poker.
I met her again, summer of 2006, as a friend of Susy’s.  She helped Susy destroy my back yard garden one morning and has been apologizing ever since.
Sadie has an amazing talent for reading and she is acquiring a following.


Implementing Streaming


I have been a big proponent of streaming ever since I became involved in 2006.  Streaming would enable us to be on cable television.

Valerie Watt


Ships passing in the night.
The Church people thought that Valerie and I would make a good couple.  Valerie and I did go out a few times, but we got along better on the telephone than in person.  It was also hard to see anything in the future with someone who was planning to permanently move out of the area in August, no September, no December.


“Rivermouth”


We wanted an “environmental” program from day one.  It was nominally Michele Luna’s for several months, but she was always too busy to start anything.
Beth brought in David Kenley to do this.

Sonia Tubridy “River Choir”


What a joy to have met Sonia this past year.  I’m surprised that I hadn’t run across her before.  I recorded her River Choir in rehearsal for their Winter Concert – 25 great choral pieces featuring several soloists including Gael Reed.  I also recorded an interview with Sonia as well as some advertising for the River Choir performances.  She and I found a touchstone in Israel, both of us having spent time there.

“Meandering”


Kirsten was my final success story protégée of 2006.  She called in to the studio wanted to do some intern work for school credit toward a community involvement.
She was very quick to learn and had lots of talent.  I talked to her about doing a show of her own and she jumped at the chance.




Sophie Weiner


Sophie Weiner was one of the last ElMo kids to intern with her show, “Comfort in the Sound”.
Sophie was friends with David Kornfeld and Kirsten Coffman.  Kirsten turned her radio spot over to Sophie, as a rite of passage.  Sophie’s mother had been a guest of another show and encouraged her to do a show.  Sophie’s whole family were musical.

Bob Linden

A struggling new radio station needs fresh money all the time and of any amount.  I got a call one day in 2006 from a man calling himself Bob Linden, a radio personality.  You are a radio personality if you say so and act brazenly enough.  I invited him to come up from San Francisco for our first session.  Bob wanted to rent the studio with an engineer for $75 for a one-hour program broadcast on Air America (AA), a new liberal, nationwide hookup.  I had said great, not knowing what I was about to get into.
He was a captivating guy – lots of radio war stories.  He did his time with small time stations across the country.  He was too-old for a DJ at 60-ish, so he picked up the banner for vegans and animal rights activists.  www.GoVeganRadio.com  (Highlight and Ctrl-Alt then Click to get there.)
Our local KGGV patter-pace was “river time” – start at 8-ish, end at 9-ish and babble between music cuts.  At our first session, Bob scribbled out a sort of script with four segments, each with differing, but exact lengths, e.g., interview segment 12:36 (mm:ss); three commercials 2:54.  He wanted an under layer of voiceless music for transitional fade-ins and fade-outs of specific durations.  We were pre-recording a show, the final product to be four sound files that we would upload to New York (NYC).  The four files had to total exactly 48:00 minutes.  The engineer was me most of the time, although I did try and “baptize” many new radio wannabes with doing this session.  We did it weekly for a little over a year.  The “engineer” was a producer (in-charge), screener (making and handling the guest phone call-ins), recording engineer, and special effects guy (his 5-yr-old grand-daughter’s cute quip library).
We got to know the PETA lady, Ingrid Newkirk, and were fascinated to be able to discuss the Michael Vick – dog fighting – pro football situation with her as it was happening; Bob Barker, elder statesman – TV Host;   Pamela Anderson, behind the scenes friend of animals and the nicest “star” you’d ever want to meet and have to deal with; and Dennis Kucinich, a major Vegan, who spoke with us often, even while he was running a presidential campaign (our secret favorite for 2008).
The “we” above was mostly me, but I hooked in Christine Lowry right away.  She was in a death dance with cancer at the time and investigating all health possibilities slightly off the medically beaten path.  Christine was one of KGGV’s few true professional radio people, so she was aware of what kept the AA folks in NYC happy.  These were highly stressful recording sessions, however.  Linden was often late and/or not ready and he was overjoyed to turn over all the technical aspects to KGGV.  The AA producers in NYC were always complaining that the fades were too short and the segments too long.  The stress was anathema to Christine’s situation: her pain level was high and she preferred the slower-paced, medicated state.
I tried Sophie Weiner in the role – she was one of KGGV’s second wave of interns from El Molino High School.  Brilliant and talented HS Senior – she could run circles around both Bob and I, Randy as well.  She did the sessions for a while because Bob Linden was an entrée to Indie bands that she swooned over.  That passed eventually and I tried Sharon Wikoff, but the pace was too frantic.  I ran out of candidates who could match the energy of this dervish.  It was a great learning experience: the segmented wheel of time allocation for a one-hour bit; the absolute insistence of timings being exact to the second; the value of voiceless fadeouts (and ins) for making up for the mistakes of others; the importance of “We’re live!” when you’re hooked in nationwide; and the thrill (every third or fourth week) when NYC says, “Good one, that’s a wrap (it’s in the can)”.  I still get a respectful chill when the hour ticks over and I hear, “This, is the BBC – it’s 8:00 am”  --  masterful – I know that I can set my watch by their pronouncement.

The programming Committee

An integral part of the “White Book” recommended organizational structures is the Programming Committee.
KGGV will implement a few more of the “White Book” ideas in 2007, but this was it for 2006.
We felt a strong need for it because (1) the Programming Director was over-loaded with tasks – the station had doubled in size since the May 2006 launch and more people needed to be involved, then (2) we had run out of time, latitude, timeslots for launching new shows and there were going to be hurt feelings coming up in 2007 as more “No’s” than “Yes’s” were going to be passed out to prospective new and changing programs.
The theory is that you put together the three building blocks of a radio station: two people from the DJ population; two people from the listener population; and two people from management {Church and fund raisers in this case}; and as a tie-breaker, you add in the Programming Director, who is the ultimate boss anyway.
For the first few years, I had to work hard to find people to devote some of their time to this sort of function.  With volunteers, I find that they spread their time amongst many organizations.  Most people have already allocated all their available free hours.
Slowly, over years, the committee took hold of some of its intended roles.  They desperately wanted to run the whole station – and the owners squelched this successfully.  They never wanted to take on the Program Director’s role talent scout and developer, professing a Politically Correct aversion to being judgmental about other people.  They had {2010} woken up to content and format management – catering to one’s audience.  This still did not lead to coherent programming of content {no thought to patchwork quilt view by the listener}.  This was because the DJs and management {and the lack of a PD for three years} co-opted the “listener” adherents.

Community Calendar


Another dream child of mine was the Community Calendar.  Nothing particularly innovative --- just a radio bulletin board for announcements of local community events, with the added sparkle of telephone interviews with the principals of the event. 
Originally I talked Sharon Wikoff into doing this.  We only had 40 minutes on Tuesday nights.  The fast-paced clip of running through a dozen items along with the timing requirements of half a dozen phone calls flowing in and holding them to 3-4 minutes each was a bit too frenetic for Sharon to handle on her own so it turned out to be a tandem co-hosting until I ran into Valerie Hausmann. 
She was a part of the Guerneville Chamber of Commerce and was the perfect choice for running this sort of show; it fit in with the rest of her life.  I worked with her for a few months and then backed away.  She flew.
Sharon loved radio, though, so she put together a youth program called, “Radio School for Kids”.
.She had a few signups and the kids completed the course over a few months and got certificates.  They all appeared on live shows.

Programming Director’s Choices Year Two

This second year, I continued with the award for the best community music show and the best community talk show.  I always stressed “community” because that was a mission statement goal.  Music and Talk were our two primary hosted genres.  I always aimed the awards at beyond service to the station.  All our hosted shows had good music and wonderful talkers.  This  reward went to those who persevered with a great idea, but not much support. 
The second year it was Valerie Hausmann for her Community Calendar Talk Show and Hayley Severe with her local musician’s show that provided airing to community musicians. 

Parade of Lights

I interviewed Diane Spain the night before the Parade of Lights.  Not really an interview, we get together in the KGGV studio and record “The Scoop,” the monthly newsletter put out by the Guerneville Senior Center.  Diane Spain is the Director of the Center and the Editor & Publisher of The Scoop.  We often discuss our roles as chief cook & bottle washer.
On this Friday afternoon, Dec 1st, she quivered with excitement, to the point of happy tears.   The organizers chose her to be the Grand Marshall at the Parade of Lights. 
When I saw her the next night, the floats were assembling for the beginning of the parade, and Diane floated by me.  I was running circuits between floats.  The GCC float seemed to me, so cold and bundled up were they, to be a sleigh full of Russians from the Steppes of the Caucasus.   Misfortune has The KGGV float always plagued by.  When I saw Diane, a bog alongside the road had mired the float.  Nonetheless, with happy campers, Suki Aakers and her “kids,” enjoyed themselves being on stage, prior to their main event later at The River Home Companion.
This was my first attendance at a Parade of Lights, even though I have been a resident of the area for eight years.  As with all community events, I regretted that I had not attended in the past.  It’s just aging, but I do love these community events the older I get.  I guess it’s a chance to see the young, who we oldies tend to forget, and at the occasion, we realize that traditions do continue, and even sometimes improve.
An improvement this year was the decorating of the light posts, a great idea.  And for a newcomer to the event, as I was, the electric magic in the air was palpable, as I noticed with Diane, in full make-up and costume.  I watched the parade from Koala’s, while I ate some sashimi, trying to achieve balance before moving on to “The River Home Companion” performance.

River Home Companion – Year Two

One of the things I learned at IBM school was the concept of a “Proof of Concept” approach to teaching.  Garrison Keilor’s NPR radio program “A Prairie Home Companion” was our reference point. Then let creativity take over.
The River Home Companion show was a proof of concept that our KGGV group of talented people are, in fact, a little better than Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, in that we can pull together a much broader and more enjoyable show.
We exceeded each of our three major goals: (1) We did our “bridge” thing by pulling together a cross section of the River community into a venue linked to KGGV and the GCC.  Many of my friends from the library and the nether reaches of Monte Rio attended as part of the 150 people that filled the Odd Fellows Hall. (2) We kept the ticket price low, but still raised significant money for the station.  (3) We highlighted the breadth of talent represented by the KGGV and GCC team.
Specific Church stars were: Pam Tinnin dressed in striking red & black with a story of hers, Kit Mariah singing, Michael Adams playing & singing and leading a group in a gospel number, Valerie Watt as queen of the Joke Team, and Jim & Nancy Fullmer who were sensational in a variety of playing, singing, and comedy bits.
The whole 2-hour and 20 minute show is available on a 2-audio CD set from KGGV in exchange for a donation to the station.


The Holiday Dinner

What a truly community event.  Hundreds upon hundreds of people – a significant portion of the town shows up for this, on one side or the other of the serving tables, oft-times both sides.  I love events like this because they fit my persona, which prefers to quietly fill in gaps where appears to be a short-term need.  Then when I look upon the scene, I recognize my touches her and there, the trees, the toys, the clean waste baskets and I am gratified.

NYE Party


It was an evening of highlights – a highlighting celebration of a most successful 1st year for KGGV, the radio station.  When Owen Edwards and I first brain-stormed the idea of a NYE party at Coffee Bazaar, we pegged it at 75-100 people, we figured we’d raise a few hundred bucks, and we planned on have a good dry time.  We achieved all our goals.  The party peaked at a full house of 50-60 people, but people came and went all evening long.  As Treasurer, I’m depositing $500 when the banks open Jan 2nd.  And best of all, everyone had a good time, epitomized to me later that evening when she said to me, “That was the best New Year’s Eve I can remember, because it was real fun, not forced by an alcoholic haze.”
It started with a milestone session by “Midnight Sun.”  We call it Milo’s band because he plays their CD from a few years ago every Mon-Fri night on his “Touch” program.  I think this was their only performance in 2006, certainly their first in 2007.  The reggae music got many people dancing and bouncing with the beat.  Janie Roberts followed, accompanied by Gary Digby as she sang some of her Cabaret songs.  Berdalee joined her along the way with a few of her own songs. 
John De Salvio continued the songfest, accompanied by Kira Poluektov on the piano, as we migrated to a more open mic.  Nancy and Jim Fullmer changed to beat as they switched into their rock & roll numbers.
Natasha and Gregorio both entertained the crowd in between musical sets with readings.  Lois Pearlman sang a great comedic number, accompanied by Kira Poluektov.  David Kornfeld sat down at the piano and played a few jazzy medleys.
The staff of Coffee Bazaar were continually passing out rounds of sweet & savory hors d’ouerves.  They were having a fun time as well.  There was even a toast with sparkling apple cider as we closed the evening.

Peter’s Posse

I did “date” a lot during 2007/8.  It’s hard to categorize relations between the sexes these days, at least a nominal single category.
Each situation was unique and they all enriched my life, starting with Irene Wisnewski then Denise Reed, with her breakthrough kiss.  There were the ever-present Audrey Ritzer and Carol Carsner.  Mid-year brought, … .. Susy Zelaya.  And afterwards outings with Giselle Antoine, Gretchen Belgrave, and Carmel’s Cheri;. events with Scorpio Sharon Wikoff and moody Valerie Watt, finally leading to … ..

No comments:

Post a Comment