Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Memories of Paris 1964-94 - Act V - 1986 Father-Son bonding

My dad and I set out for Paris on a little commuter flight that left from Coventry Airport.  It was a short hop with just time for an orange juice and then we were on the ground.  We took a taxi to the hotel.  Situated on the Place de la Concorde across the park to the Champs-Élysées, Le Crillon was the best hôtel in Paris, mostly because of location, and their service is impeccable.  With profuse apologies, the desk clerk informed me that they had over-booked and bumped us.  This happens, especially in France, and I wasn't upset.  He told me that they had taken the liberty of checking us into the Bristol.  "It is only three blocks away and is also a top-rated hotel."  I confirmed that we still had our dinner reservation.  Over at the Bristol we unpacked and then walked back for a drink and dinner. 

We headed straight to a table by the bar and watched the interesting people passing by.  The maitre d' came by to tell us our table was ready, and my father got the first inkling of a European custom that we were sure to see more of.  Hotel service staff research their guests.  They know who you are and what you are doing.

Le Crillon Bar


What my father and I were doing was enjoying a rare adult bonding experience.  The year was 1986; I was in my forties and my father in his seventies.  I had been on the road for the past decade, the last four years in England, where I settled in and bought a house in Birmingham.  My parents had visited me in England every year, once together and each, one other time by themselves.  I had flown to France a dozen times over the prior few years.  I was earning excellent money and wanted to show off to my father, specifically my new found palate for food & wine.  My father enjoyed seeing his son prosper in life and here was an aspect where I might gain my father’s nod of approval. 

We ate an excellent dinner the night we arrived at Le Crillon.  Perfect French meals leave you with a feeling of euphoria, as though drugged.  I'm sure some of this was due to the alcohol and the jet lag.  When it was time I said, "Let’s go," and I got up.  "But they haven't brought us a bill.  We can't leave," said my father, a depression-era mid-westerner who settled his debts as they occurred.  "It'll be fine," I said.  Up we got and out to the lobby, "Call us a cab please."  At the Bristol bar I told him how European hotels, by custom had an obligation to provide meals with your lodging.  An unwritten rule since Saxon times. Hôtel Crillon was responsible for our meal and they knew where we were.  I assured him, "The meal will show up tomorrow on our Bristol hotel bill with an appropriate tip."  

It did.


My father put in only one request for this trip, but it was a lifelong wish of his: Dinner at Maxim's.  We arrived at 7:00 PM and it was all my father had dreamed about and hoped for, elegant people in a lively setting.  Not a stuffy American place like La Tour d’Argent but bustling with an International crowd at cramped tables; men enjoying their meals, and mistresses -- the age-gap was a robust 25 years.  It reminded me of Ernie’s in San Francisco.  Our waiter discussed the wine with us, and we arrived at a mutually satisfactory bottle of '76 Cháteau Haut-Brion; we agreed that it was excellent value for money.  The waiter was so happy that we had allowed him to participate in this selection that the other waiters around us were suddenly bombarding us with various perks: special hors-d'oeuvres, constant re-filling of bread, butter and water.  The meal was perfect, not a gourmet meal, those were to follow next week.  The wine was superb, heady and strong like a California Syrah, but with far more earthiness and almost meaty, mushroomy flavours.  It matched the food, but overall, my father was so impressed with the wine-waiter being impressed with us, that he was ecstatic.  Twenty years later, I heard parts of the story he told to his relatives back in Ohio, “My son flew me to Maxim’s in Paris and is such a bon vivant that he impressed the wine-waiter there at Maxim’s”.

[or did he slip the waiter a $100 bill to assure an enjoyable evening?  It’s something I might have done; but then again, he taught me this.]


No comments:

Post a Comment