Monday, September 28, 2020

Train Trip Across the Rockies – Sept 1991

 


I booked a sleeper car on the train, through Chicago, to Detroit.  My father was famous in the family for always suggesting, whenever someone complained about traffic or airports, "Why don't you take the train?"  I had finally called his bluff.  I was preparing a speech to deliver in Dearborn, and I asked him to come with me on the train across country.  I had him, and he had to say yes.

The train is a faded pleasure.  No more white-gloved porters to wait on your every need.  No more three-star meals.  The train was simply full of people who were fearful of traveling, afraid to fly, and they all smoked.

The cabin seemed luxurious to start with until we realized that the two sleeping berths popped down.  We had to sleep in here too.  In a poor location decision, Railroad management had positioned the smoking car, just up wind of us, so we got the back draft of a hundred people sucking as much as they could on tobacco plants.  The even nastier result of this was that we had to pass through the smoking car to get to the observation car, which was where you could get afternoon cocktails and thus, a place we often frequented.

It took us six hours to get to Reno.  We must have stopped at every crossroad along the way.  If I had known this when I was booking the train, I too would have planned a stop-over there, half the people on the train got off in Reno, just to go gambling.

We pulled out of Reno about 7:00 pm and decided on late dinner.  We had already figured out that an early dinner, 5 rather than 7, left us with the hours from 6-10, or midnight, with little to do other than: smoke, drink, or watch the inky blackness go by.  We opted for the middle path.  The food was atrocious.  I wasn't sure that Dickie could stomach this food.  We decided to stick with hamburgers from here on in, and this worked out well.  The chef was working from a menu that he had seen in an up-scale magazine and was trying to imitate it, but the sauces were bad, the entrée mis-cooked, and the garnish missing.  The whole thing didn't blend well into a meal that was worth eating.

OK, so we had to work to avoid smoke and food. The morning after Reno was the desolate desert around Salt Lake.  It's a big country and we spent the day approaching the Rockies. The vistas were amazing.

My father had driven us past the Rockies panorama on our way to California, when I was ten years old.  He was concerned then with the "When do we get there?" and "I have to pee" type of problems to have seen the view.  We were now in an observation car, crawling along at twenty miles an hour.  I looked straight up a sheer cliff, thousands of feet above me.  It was awe-inspiring.  The vista took me aback.  That was the Rockies and the railroad planned the trip so that we would see the most impressive views of it, late in the afternoon.  How small I felt among the power of nature around me.

Added to the majesty of it, our slow speed let the storm we had started in, back in Oakland, catch up to us, all along the way.  There was thunder and lightning.  We went to sleep with rain falling and an exhausting day behind us.

We awoke the 2nd morning in Kansas City, and I devoured a local newspaper.  My father told me about growing up in the Plains States.  The rainstorm that had been coming down in buckets when we started was now progressing across the country at about the same speed we were, just preceding us by a 2-3 hours.  We followed that storm front for two thousand miles, back in distance and time, as we made our way to the Midwest where we had both grown up.  We got to talk in depth about life in the Midwest over those next few days.

In Chicago, my father had all sorts of memory places to visit.  We started with the swanky Drake Hotel he had come to, during the war.  It was famous for the Palm Court Room.  We had drinks there and then, on to Shaw's Crab House, still a popular place when visiting Chicago.  It’s a '40s-style restaurant with a vast menu of fresh seafood and live Jazz music.  The place was full of beautiful women and[PA1]  they tempted us to continue partying, but he didn't want to upset me, and I didn't want to upset him.  The next day we got back on a morning commute train.  We talked with a black man the whole way.  He was about my father's age, and we spoke of the war and Michigan in the thirties.  This, as we rambled through gorgeous Western Michigan countryside, flat and well-wooded with water; ponds, streams and lakes.

When we arrived at the Detroit station, I couldn't believe it.  The railroad had kept the station on the outskirts of town.  It was a deserted whistle stop.  There was one taxi cab, a beat-up car.  The trunk lock didn't work; then again, neither did the door locks.  We quivered as the driver took us to the designated hotel along Woodward Avenue.

My father showed me four landmark sites; Tillie's boarding house where Mother lived, before they were married (’37), BH Tool where he worked  (40’s) until the move to California.  We went out to Grosse Pointe to my elementary school and the house on Lewiston.  My parents always associated Detroit with the Lewiston house.  We ate at two places he loved fifty years before, and he told me Detroit stories I'd never heard and don’t remember. 

I wouldn't call it a jam, but my father and I got scared as we left Grosse Pointe and tried to retrace his morning commute to BH Tool, fifty years prior.  We pulled up to a light in a depressed area.  The houses were all boarded up or burned out.  A car pulled up along-side of us and a group of angry, young black men cursed us and screamed at us that they would kill us.  We were scared.  We took out of there like bats out of hell.

He flew back to SFO Sunday night.  I stayed in the area the next few days.  There was an armed-guard riding the “BART” system there; my hotel had keycards that gave me access to certain floors; the mall had full-time police-patrols.  This wasn’t my Detroit.

Detroit was a stepping stone for some during WW-II: the war brought good money, and if you saved it, migration: Exit West, afterward.  For others, it was a jump to the middle class, but then, each subsequent American war brought a new automobile maker into the world market: Volkswagen, Japanese, Korean.  Manufacturing moved South, leaving Detroit abandoned.


 [PA1]

No comments:

Post a Comment