Monday, October 21, 2019

Autumn Love Affairs



I can think of no one more amorous than my two, medium-sized, red butterflies that have hovered around my serenity garden all summer long.  They are almost inseparable.  Today when the male could not find the female for 30 seconds, he went crazy, and burnt up so much energy in his search that I feared he would die in the struggle.  But then she came from around the corner and they intertwined again in a dance of love.
With the many other things going on in the World, it is peaceful to watch the birds and the bees, enjoying their lives.  In a different day and age, my back garden would suffice for a third-grade class in biology, chemistry and physics, certainly social and political science.  Fairy tales capture many of the lessons, but a recent read of John Steinbeck’s, “Log of the Sea of Cortez”, reminded me of the value of tide-pooling (He cruised to Baja) and of the shared brotherhood (regardless of borders) of the acquisition of knowledge and scientific inquiry.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Peter:
    I have to send this to NPR and try again. This is special as was the earlier one. It is one of my many ambitions to succeed in being chosen for "With A Perspective" and since mine do not fit, they are too political, I am happy to get yours chosen if I can.

    ReplyDelete