Saturday, September 15, 2018

Cat Retirement Home


I’m thinking about formally making my yard a retirement home for cats.
I’ve had three retired cats in my two decades here in Monte Rio.  One was already a rescue that wasn’t well enough for the country-life. But the other two, old urban cats thought they went to heaven.
No more pungency of garbage spills and dog smells.  My enclosed, 20-year old organic garden has the scent of herbs and flowers that attracts bees, wasps, small birds, and a myriad of other flying and crawling bugs.  These things are an enjoyable zoo for cats.

“No Dogs!” did I say?  Tall, redwood fencing completely encloses my backyard, which allows cat’s entry and exit, but not dogs.  A safe haven when needs be; but only two blocks from forested hills to the North, or the Russian River to the South.
The soil is black and rich with organics; twenty years of alternating between vegetables and flowers, but always with organic soil amendments, and now I’m making my own compost, four yards a year, rotating bins with: my yard detritus, my vegetarian cuttings and excess  coffee grounds and newspaper, a bit of commercially composted product, and periodically some outside dirt.  I add a dozen new worms every few months, and water (drip hose) daily.
Plenty of room to go potty [the cat] with privacy, ease, and comfort.

My thoughts on candidates
10-14 years of age (no kittens) [appropriately spayed & neutered]
Urban lifestyle (appreciate the freedom) [Can find way home]
Healthy (same as me, cat age times 7) [pills but no needles]
Will be an outdoor cat (and love it) [no litter box]

My Commitments
Food, Log Fire, and Loving always available on a rainy night
Compassion, understanding, and forgiveness always there 24/7
Unquestioning Love, Petting, and Commitment

No comments:

Post a Comment