Monday, September 17, 2018

Family of Strangers


A family of strangers is visiting my back yard this year.

I think they are here to share meals with a vigorous vine that I started 2-3 years ago, a Trumpet vine [ https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/trumpet-vine ], which has taken over the pear, fig, and gingko trees.

I learned to appreciate the helicopter, whirring sound of hummingbirds forty years ago while white-water rafting in the upper reaches of Idaho.  I’ve tried, ever since, to attract them through gardening, but never with sugar water, without any success.  I usually focus my plantings on bugs and small flying insects.  I love the twilight hour, when bats, insects, and a completely separate fauna come out to eat, drink, and be merry.

So, I was surprised, but ignored, a few inquisitive hummingbirds last year, who came around after sunset to look at my back yard.

No ignoring them this year, though.

They dominate that otherwise quiet hour; and they probably feast on the small flying insect Hors d'Ĺ“uvres, before they get to dessert with the Trumpet vine flowers.

As I took pictures tonight, they were dive-bombing me to scare me away.  No way could I get a picture of one – I don’t think that fast with a camera in my hand.

The flowers are beautiful, and sensuous with their romantic reds and pinks.  The vine has integrated itself amongst my “grove” of pear, gingko, and fig trees.  It’s battling with a similarly invasive Clematis vine, with its’ long thin leaves).  The gingko is oriental and takes 50-100 years to mature – it’s twenty, well rooted and strong; the fig is young, but always fights its way to the top; the pear is my age, no longer fruitful, but strong support for the others to lean on.

No comments:

Post a Comment