Thursday, September 13, 2018

I'm Retired


I’ve been saying that for years, with the same caveat that all of us use, “and I’ve never worked harder.”

That’s a crock.  We’ve slowed down, so there’s less time available for us to do things.  We have way less energy, physical and mental, to do things anyway.  So, the old, in general, accomplish a lot less than they used to  --  but memories are a great asset for the old, we used to work double the effort, and twice as long to achieve today’s similar goals.

 
 
Sitting in my back garden today, somewhat after 3:30, when I’d finished my day’s gardening work, I drifted off into a momentary catnap, when the four-o’clock sea breeze gently awakened me, my last dream-world thought, “I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure of knowing you?” [Eds. Note: I think in reality, “knowing” was “being introduced to”.]  My psyche doesn’t do double-meanings.
Morpheus is the God of the old, for sure.  I could happily spend half my life in my dreamland of today.  I no longer dream about losing my school combination locker code; or flying around the world; or even flying when I knew how, but didn’t have a license; no more walking down a public street naked.  These days, most of my encounters are with my parents, generally current day scenarios, but with them, or just my mother, having miraculously aged to a cogent 108, we discuss current scenarios, not so much older ones, although older decision points do come 
into play from time to time.
I have a huge back history of dreamland houses that I have owned, rented, managed, usually close to real abodes, maybe the places I missed, didn’t rent, or acquire.  Several of these are still clear in my mind, room by room, and or garden plot by garden plot, with faults, for which I had fixes, including gardening fixes.  These recurred in dreams for decades, easy to bring up, but not there normally.
Did I tie these places to people? No, not real people.  At least not my parents.  Maybe some real people, or, again, possibly some real people with whom I never wound up having a relationship.

I dream a lot.
I dream in color [if necessary].
 
 

 

1 comment: