Thursday, September 20, 2018

Summer's End 2018


A photographic update of my end-of-summer activities and an assessment of their efficacy.
Front Yard (from the vantage point of the Rio Theater seats)
The street side was supposed to be a “wall” of Black-eyed Susan vine.  This is possible (see backyard photo), but the soil isn’t as good, and there’s the highway-side stress.  I also started late in the spring.  I will address these issues next year and try again.  I intend laying tarps along this strip to keep it warm and protected next winter.  My guess is that twice as much compost and half the water will improve things next year.  I love providing a gift of food for strangers, and will continue having strawberries.
The middle area turned out as a new-flower hill.  I’m hoping this seasonal “hill” will graciously accept more soil amendment each year for the next few seasons.
The house side area has usually been a bed of nasturtiums and poppy’s, but recently has included my last few remnants of a virulent Morning Glory vine. The battle is still raging, but I will continue to contain the war between them all.  My recently, rekindled interest in flying creatures may cause me to redevelop this walkway in front of the rental unit into a butterfly path.
Back Yard
Black-eyed Susan vine actually worked this year (I tried it last year to no avail).  This coming winter, I will keep this strip warm and protected.  This now forms one of my sanctuaries.  I will complete this project next year, when my garden boxes fill out.
Fence line-Garden Boxes may actually be the solution to a problem I’ve had since I’ve lived here.  This strip has plagued me for years.  The fence-line shares a three-foot wide strip of dirt, spanning the fence.  I’ve been organic on my side – but my neighbor has been a committed Roundup user.  Whatever I plant dies.
I have now built an 18’ X 2’ X 3’ four cubic yard garden box, filled mostly with organic compost.
I have Chilean and regular Jasmine, Passionflower vine, many attempts at starting Trumpet vine, and a myriad of other plants and vines.
REFLECTIONS
Maybe I begin to understand Sarah Winchester building a new room every year.  That was probably misconstrued.  We all need to think about next year, it is an essential a part of living this year, a recognition of the seasons, both within the calendar year, and of the stages of life.
Doing things in the garden this year, for next year’s benefit is in some ways symbolic of doing things, taking actions now, which are not going to affect my life, but will be beneficial to those following me.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment