Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Today I changed from registered Republican to registered Democrat.


I was a Goldwater fan in 1964.  I became a Republican then.  In 68-69 I did some campaign analysis work for Mo Udahl, a conservative Democrat.  Back in 1969, Ross Perot scheduled me for an interview to join his computer management team, down in Texas, at the ranch.  I have never bothered to change my political affiliation  --  for no particular reason, other than just, pure laziness.
I will miss the artsy letters from Melania, but to be truthful, I have never sent a dollar to any political party, ever in my lifetime.  The only thing I every got was this [pictured] ashtray, nut dish.
Why now?  There is no one left in my Republican Party.  Maybe it is George Will’s recent about face; maybe it’s that of David Brooks.  There is no Republican Party anymore, only a small mass sycophancy of not much consequence.
The end of the current idiocy is about to be steam-rollered over by a mass uprising of public disgust as DJT continues to double-down on a patently losing hand: racism, despotism, and ignorance.
This happened in the thirties with Huey Long, he’s forgotten.  We’re about to see another FDR-era landslide.  This will be a prolonged period of correcting long-standing grievances, and the Court.  It will take twenty years, and we’ll only accomplish half of what needs to be done.
But we should clarify what we stand for, what our ethos is.  What our values are.  If we succeed, this American spirit can once again charge an era, the 21st century, with inspiration and guidance for the remainder of the century.

No comments:

Post a Comment