Thursday, April 15, 2021

A Final Early Spring Night Tonight

 

The temperature is dropping 30+ points along our micro-climate River tonight.  Ah Well, we got good things done today.


I hired Julian Diurni, Jessica’s son, to churn my compost bins.  He emptied my Bin #1 [Pic 1], sharing the 2 yards or wormy compost amongst both front and back yards.  It completed my new Potato Bed trench garden [Pic 2].  I will plant my seedlings there as soon as they open their eyes to Springtime growing season.


He worked deeply to the bottom, scouring into the transfer buckets every tasty morsel of fresh recycled compost.  There are fresh service piles in the front yard, ready for my re-visualization; he also filled the new raised-bed  in the back yard by the once-leaning trellis; and left a few buckets for my withering Clematis.  The bottom of Bin #1 has been scoured to its’ depths. [Pic 3]


Bin # 1 will start a new cycle of composting.  For me it starts in the morning with yesterday’s coffee grounds.  If I cooked with veggies in one of my WOKs the night before, I may clean things out into this handy. foot-opening, specialty, mini-garbage can.  Back from shopping at noontime, I will chop off the leaves and tails of things like beets and carrots – compost, even for fruit like pineapple; and oranges that I eat all day long.  At dinner, often in the WOK with Kale, onions, and asparagus; and an avocado somewhere along the line.  My mini-can fills up every day or two.  I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.


So, the excess from Bin #1 went to top off Bins #2 and #4 [pic 4], putting them to sleep for another year.  I’ll open Bin #2 in Spring 2022.  It’s a cycle – I add new worms every six months.  Other than that, I don’t touch them – normal rain – normal stirrings.  

But as I said to open, it’s chilling down tonight.  We’ve only got one or two more nights like this before late Spring kicks in,


10° Centigrade, over 50 F.  That’s when seeds start perking, etc.  Many things can’t wait – my cat and I have a hard  time waiting.  I’ve started a very late seasonal fire in the fireplace tonight. [Pic 5].  It’s not really like a winter “warm us up” type of fire; it’s more of a camping trip “doesn’t this feel comfortable” type of fire.  The cat can’t wait until the mid-seventies afternoon tomorrow, she’s pacing and looking to get into trouble.

1 comment:

  1. That is a perfect Christmas postcard. Her hair is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete