Sunday, April 18, 2021

The Taters are in the ground

 … along with Asparagus which I have never grown before.  It had the same instructions that came with the potatoes; 3-inches below ground level and then add ½ an inch a week until achieving ground level.

This slow filling in of the trench means that I can’t plant my carrots, onions, beets, etc. until May.  No problem, I’ve got seeds in pots growing in my window sills for all of these.  The problem is, I didn’t label them, so I need to wait anyway, until they are recognizable.

The “Netherland Bulb Company” in Easton, PA packages these packets of Seed Potatoes ( 4 different packets).  They are from stock grown in Idaho, and locally available at Dorothy’s Stumptown Nursery.  One other recommendation is that the soil should be richly organic, loose with good drainage.  I have gardened my backyard organically for over twenty years now.  For this potato trench, I have mixed 1/3 my own compost, 1/3 the native soil, and 1/3 Stumptown Nursery’s Barnyard organic compost.

Here are the trenches, three of them.

The first Pic is a halfway point, …


 

 






The comes the final Pic, when they’re watered in.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment