Monday, April 26, 2021

Santa Rosa Computers

 

I had a pleasing, almost-post-Pandemic moment today, after I’d suffered the perennial catastrophe involving a bad computer software driver update being imposed upon one, unbeknownst to them.


There’s the panic moment when you can’t hear, print, or see what your silicon umbilical cord is trying to tell you.  Please, God, give me back my connection, I’ll do anything. [comic lines abound].

This was Sunday night; like a toothache, it always occurs when everyone has closed.  It was a long night – no news, no movie, my problem was a sound card.  I was at the shop, Santa Rosa Computer,  as they opened Monday morning.  “Yes”, I said, “expedite it.!”

The return call came before noon, and I was soon back.

“Hello,” came the familiar voice from the back fixit room, when he must have heard mine in the front, “Peter?”.

For travelers to and from Great Britain, there is no more comforting voice than that of the pilot of a BA aircraft, with a BBC voice, saying, “Welcome Aboard, I am your pilot.

That is the voice I heard from the back room.  I have been a customer for twenty years, and he has been the manager/owner all those years.  It was comforting and assuring that all was right with the world.-We chit-chatted about the impacts of the Pandemic on each of us.  It felt normal.

Tonight’s movie is “Kind Hearts  and Coronets”.

No comments:

Post a Comment